Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Arrowtown & Snowfall at Land of Lakes

day 7 : 18th Oct 2011

It's sad to leave Queenstown. It just don't feel enough :(
Rhys brought us to the neighbouring town a few minutes away from Queenstown - Arrowtown. Arrowtown was an old gold mining town frozen in time.











I had this picture set as my new wallpaper. I am still reminiscing the moment I stood on this street, gentle breeze on my face while taking in this idyllic town.


Jess decided to call home and tell her parents not to expect her home as she's migrating to NZ


with me...


We can join the gold miners, dig some gold nuggets and earn some cash. I was really into it until this K.N.S truck burst my bubble. It was about time I face reality. Arrowtown has long exhausted of all its gold (since early 1900s). No more gold. Nothing. Nada!


It started to drizzle again. Yikes! I don't like the rain at all. Please give us a break. We drove off and away from the rain and ended up in this winery.



Look! Jessica had all of these liquor as breakfast.
Tsk tsk...

The waitress gave Jessica the chronology of the wine to taste.


So, I decided to join her (to pose for a picture)



What's best to pair with wine? Cheese!




After some wine and cheese tasting, we linger around the garden admiring its colors.



The rain caught up with us again. So, we made another escape. This time, we escaped to a road side fruit shop.

Mmm...I must say, this was the yummiest fruit shop I've ever seen. Everything was beautifully arranged and all the fruits looked so alluring. At one point, I heard the Kiwis saying "Eat me! Eat me!"

The shop offered a variety of fruit packages. Single/double/triple colored grapes in a box, crates of similar or assorted fruits, fruits in a box, fruits in a bag, or if you can't make up your mind, hand pick them yourself. I liked the assorted fruits in the crate. I can imagine a busy mother of 3 rushing into the shop. With little time to spare, she just need to buy the readily assorted fruits in the crate for her kids.





The free tasting table was a hit. Most shoppers were lured to it trying the fruits, nougat and all the condiments in the shop.




NZ, (need I say) was famous for its Kiwi. Or it should be the other way round ... NZ, was famous because of its Kiwi!

These Kiwis were so huge they were almost as big as my face!



Jess & I tried the tasty fruit yogurt ice cream. After eating it under the rain, we were frozen!


Speaking of freezing. A few minutes drive later, we reached Waitaki District which was snowing. The whole place was blanketed in snow and whiteness.




The "Sua-Ku" got out to see the snow again. Oh wait a minute. It was not exactly snow yet. It was more of a sleet.





I felt a rumble in my stomach and just realized, we have not eaten anything since this morning. Rhys pulled into this restaurant + gift shop.

Inside, there were two cabinets filled with life-like dolls. At first, I thought they were the owner's collection until I saw a sign in the cupboard saying the doll-maker is on sabbatical leave and ordering of dolls is temporarily unavailable.


The dolls were indeed very beautiful. The prettiest and most intricate dolls I've ever seen. It's hard to see in these pictures but I actually took a very close look at each dolls. They were all perfect looking, down to each hair strand and embroidery on the doll's clothes.

Some of the dolls went over a thousand dollars but I believe a lot of ladies could not resist them.


Though, at night, they may look kind of creepy. Remember Chucky?


Well, time to treat my tummy.




A choice of unique and healthy breakfast at 2PM. I think I should call it brunch. We had a light meal as Rhys mentioned there was a nice Chinese restaurant near Lake Tekapo. Did you say rice? Ooo...rice rice :p



We continued towards Lake Tekapo. When we reached the lake, all of us unanimously agreed to just skip the lake. Unless you say the lake is purple in colour, otherwise, we prefer to just stay inside than weather the cold. After all, we've had plenty of lake scenes.

We arrived in a town in the precinct of Lake Tekapo. The town was painted in white and Rhys was asking us if we wanted to stop. If we stop here, we might risk getting stuck here as the road might be closed later due to heavy snow fall.

The place was too beautiful just to drive by. "Can we just have 5 minutes here, please?", I asked.

As we came to a stop, Rhys kept saying "This is so unreal". Why? Because it's spring time now! It was not suppose to snow. It was indeed - Unreal




So, we made a pit stop here and had to order takeaways. We couldn't stay too long here as we don't want to end up being stuck in this place.


The takeaways with epic proportions. Or as Rhys would say - Unreal





After dancing around in the snow and throwing snow balls at each other, the "Sua Ku" were satisfied to leave. Oh yes! This is the first snow fall I've ever seen in my life! I've seen snow before but not the actual snow fall. - Unreal

Rhys was excited over something. He said "Let me show you something", and drove us behind the row of shops. In the middle of the snow covered landscape, perched a quaint little church. It was really lovely under the snowy backdrop.


We made our way back to Christchurch. There was no snow in Christchurch though. Rhys dropped us at our favourite Countdown supermarket to make our last minute shopping. Gotta get some Kiwi teas, some Fruit Burst (best candy), some Simpsons shaped cookies...Chocolates, chocolates...all those special looking chocolate I gotta have them all!
All our carts were filled with chocolates, candies, snacks and all those calorie unfriendly treats. Kids, time to stop loading your carts!

We checked back into Camelot Lodge. That night, we had a fruit party with all the fruits we bought this morning.


We could not finish the strawberries and Jess creatively turned it into something useful.


Voila! Strawberry face mask which leaves your face feeling all fruity.


Oh no...suddenly, the thought dawned at us like a smack on the face. Tomorrow is going to be our second last day in NZ. I don't wanna leave just yet :(

No comments: