Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ulun Danu temple & Bedugul

day 4 : 14th July 2011


The journey to Bedugul highland was a long one but the scene was really beautiful on the way up towards Ulun Danu temple. By the time we reached, it was already lunch time. So, we had an Indonesian buffet lunch opposite of the temple. Also, the same place I dined 3 years back. The best on the buffet table was of course the Fish Satay. Yumm!




Apart from Tanah Lot, Ulun Danu was perhaps the next most visited temple in Bali.
Let's enter...


This 16th century temple, was devoted to Batara Dewi Ulun Danu, goddess of the lake. No doubt, the temple was built on top of a crater lake. Even before entering the temple, the surroundings gave an amazing view. It was very serene here coupled with the cool air and breeze from the lake. Breathe...





The first thing that caught our attention when entering the temple were the huge God figures.


A closer look revealed that they were made of coloured rice!


I was "examining" another God-figure when the head of a real pig popped up at me (see below)




Here it is the picture perfect symbol of Ulun Danu


The temple looks as though it is floating on the lake. That's why I kept calling this place as the "Floating Temple"

Other ancient sights of Ulun Danu



Devotees of Ulu Danu. Women must wear the traditional Kebaya while the men have to wear Sarong. Although they are of Hindu religion but their attire is just like our Malay friends back at home


Time is an essence. It was already quarter past 2pm. We still have a journey to Tanah Lot, shop in Joger, return to Seminyak to check into our villa, dinner in Kuta and arrive in our spa before 7:30pm.

On the way up earlier, I saw a colourful market place which I also wanted to visit. So we made the ultimate decision .... we are skipping Tanah Lot!



I know, I know, Tanah Lot is like a symbol of Bali. But, it's alright as I still have pictures of my last visit to Tanah Lot for TH to look at. Hehehe!

Actually, we really don't have enough time to journey all the way there to look at the temple perched in the middle of the sea. Maybe next time :)

So, back to the market place called Sari Candi Kuning. The market offers a lot of local fruits, spices, food and loads of handmade items.





And toilets selling plants?


After a short stroll, we headed back. The last time I was in Bali, I only had a few rushed minutes in Joger Kuta before our flight home. This time, I wanted to ensure it is part of our itinerary. Wayan suprised us by bringing us to the largest Joger shop in Bali. Woohoo!



I love the cool slippers here!



After a dizzy shopping in Joger, we quickly made our way back to town to check into our Bali Dream Villa.

It was 5:30pm. The villa of course was fantastic, boombastic, masochistic...okay maybe not that but I cant help that it rhymed so well. Hehe..

As you know, we got to be going to dinner by 6pm. I was basically restless waiting for them to count my $, verify the number code in each of my $, then saying the $50 was an old note and they cannot accept it (although it is still valid with money changers), then making calls bla bla bla. Finally, the payment was made. I was ready to dump my luggage in the room & go dinner.

Then the villa asked what welcome drinks we want. OK, we decided to just drink up. Waited forever for the drinks to come (although it's just less than 5mins). Hoping the waiter would walk faster. We gulped down the fresh juice. Then practically held the villa guy to bring us to our room.

"Welcome to your new home" he said as he entered the key into our room & started the villa tour.

"Here's your pool, here's your lounge, here's your room, here's your kitchen, here's your bathroom, here's your complimentary refreshment in the fridge, here's your basket of fruits, here's your TV, here's your remote.............."

"Okok...here's your tips. Bye bye", I said

A few seconds later, there was a door bell. A house keeper was smiling and gave me a plate of "kuih" then asked if I wanted to smoke my villa from mosquito.
I was like "Erm like now? Erm...wokay"

I know I am supposed to relax & unwind. Enjoy the great services in the villa but it's already 6:15pm. Gotta goooo! (probably the villa folks think we are some kind of weird people)

All Right! We made it to Malioboro - Restauran Ayam Tulang Lunak at 6:30pm. I had the most succulent chicken 3 years ago and today, I can finally fulfill my cravings :)


Yummy!
The crunchy & tender chicken sprinkled with prawn cracker bits


Guess what? With our awesome time management, we made it to the spa sharp at 7:30pm :)
It was time to say good bye to our good friend, Wayan, who had been a good driver for the past few days.



After choosing our favourite massage oil, it's time to kick back and throw away my watch (literally). Time to enjoy the 2 hour Balinese massage & pampering. Ahhhhh.....




No comments: