Sunday, May 30, 2021

Melaka Restaurants & Cafes

 

Yummy food to try while in Melaka at no particular order.
Disclaimer: These reviews are not sponsored. I sponsored myself  ๐Ÿ˜


1. Ee Ji Ban Chicken Rice Ball





The famous chicken rice ball. Something unique in Melaka. 
So how does it taste? For me, it's like the chicken rice in a fish ball form.




The restaurant offers many other dishes "chu char"style apart from its chicken rice. It is also a Halal restaurant so it attracts people left and right. I've not yet seen a halal Chinese chicken rice shop / chu-char restaurant in Penang. Anyone knows?









Crowded with customers. 


There was a group of Harley riders when we were there. I supposed this is not to be missed while in Melaka. After visiting their Facebook, I noticed this restaurant was frequented by celebrities. There are many chicken rice varieties all over Penang. So, the experience is as expected for me and the food is delicious. 

Facebook: Ee Ji Ban




2. Sukee Satay




This was in front of Atlantis Residences where we stayed for the first few nights. We were hungry and this was the very few places within walking distance from Atlantis for a quick bite. The taste was okay and the cendol although doesn't look that great in this picture but was a saviour from the hot weather. 




Sukee Satay overlooking this building. 


Facebook: Sukee Satay



3. Aunty Fatso



A must try "Signature River Prawn Cheese Mee Hoon". 

As a Penangite spoilt with choices, food that gave me a WoW factor was something unique that I haven't tried before. In Melaka this is the one and only dish that stood out.



I was so excited when this dish came. It must be eaten quickly due to its cheesy gravy. There was a surprise ma-la chilli inside the gravy that will give a tongue numbing sensation. 







They were many other dishes to try but we were a small party so couldn't eat much. Overall the dishes were tasty. The drinks had a generous amount of longan and white fungus in them.  (unlike some of the hawker centers in Penang where the longan drink was super diluted with pathetic bits of longan inside. If I patch all of them, it wouldn't even make one piece of longan)

Facebook: Aunty Fatso




4. Perfect Ice (Near Aunty Fatso)




Dessert time. Surrounding this area there were many dessert and boba tea shop. Again, there weren't many people around this area. We were attracted by the deco and discovered that this is a Korean ice cream shop.



Cool vending machines though the snacks are mostly local. 



Celebrities like Monsta-X were plastered on the wall. 




Of course we have to get some tasting. Mmm...tasty!




Facebook: Perfect Ice Malaysia




5. Domo Cafe | I ❤ Cake | U tea | jvv joyful



This is a one stop building if you cannot make up your mind whether you want ...

๐Ÿ˜ต To be in a cafe or a restaurant?
๐Ÿ˜ต Having Asian or Western meal?
๐Ÿ˜ต Have dessert of main course? 
๐Ÿ˜ต To be at a museum or to eat?

 

Well, you can do all that under one roof!






Domo Cafe




I ❤ Cake




U tea


Well, this is the only place in this list where we didn't dine as the place was closing. As you can see no more customers. Maybe next time. 




6. Mee Rebus, Rojak Mee, Cendol 



Well, we wanted to try the famous durian cendol. We followed the GPS, Google and even asked the Grab driver. Not sure how we ended up here but it is obviously not the place we were supposed to be. 

Like it or not, our stomachs were grumbling. So, we just sat by the road side and ordered mee rojak and some cendol. 



Food were messy but it tasted all right. 
Many locals came here too so I supposed it wasn't bad after all. 






There was also this stall opposite. I was confused which is the authentic one? However, the one by the road side where we ate has more customers. The crowd cant be wrong. 





7. Tosca @ Double Tree



One evening, we were looking for a nice place to eat. I walked opposite Double Tree and there were just about 2 restaurants. The price was high for coffee shop food. I even went to 7-eleven in search of food. In the end, I went back to the hotel and decided okay...let's indulge! 

So we checked out Tosca at Double Tree. The meal was worth it with a clean and comfortable ambience over looking the pool. Looking opposite the restaurant outside earlier, the price here is slightly more but the difference is way more. 




Pizza was great. The spaghetti meat mall has an overwhelming beef aroma. 


The place reminded me of Hilton in Bandung. My colleagues and I spent significant times in their Italian restaurant in Bandung, though the customer service there is at another level. Great memory of the good times after the hard work. 


8. Unicorn Cafe



We took a car ride to Unicorn cafe and almost LMAO as the cafe is just around the corner of Double Tree. The driver just picked us up and did a U turn to the cafe. We literally could walk there. 

I tell you, this is my favorite cafe/restaurant in Melaka. I will definitely want to come back here. Take a look at the menu, it has endless offering of Nyonya food with a fair price. It's mind blowing. 









We were the first to arrive as the place opened. The restaurant is airy and very clean. Later on, more customers came and many of them were regulars as the very friendly owner chatted with them.



I thought I would leave Melaka without their durian cendol. I was sooo excited when I saw the durian cendol in their menu. I asked them if they have it and they said they do! (Durian is a seasonal fruit). 

Look at the food & presentation. So yummy!



RM5.50 for durian cendol.
They gave a quite a generous amount of durian. Durian is seasonal and it cannot be storied for too long as its taste will be affected. However, the durian given was fresh. It was really worth it. 



Remember the lemak laksa I had in Jonker street?
Well, this is the real deal. 




Rendang chicken rice



Looking at the food makes me salivate. Covid, get over soon! I need to go back there to eat. 


Facebook: Unicorn Cafe Melaka



No comments: